Sunday, September 18, 2016

My first serious wargame figures

These two Stadden 30mm metal figures are the first serious wargame figures that I painted.  Mum and dad got them for me from the Barbican Museum, Burradoo near Bowral in NSW, January 1972 along with the Funcken book L'Uniforme et les Armes des Soldats du Premier Empire, Volume 2 (and it really was in French). I used this book as a guide to paint these figures (and still use it today).

FC 07 Officer charging Mounted
WF 11 Drummer advancing Foot

The officer's sword has been broken and repaired.

He was very unstable and so I've provided a bigger base so he can safely go in my display cabinet.
I used used clear plastic as I didn't want to detract from the original figure.  
I'm amazed to see I actually applied some flock to the base.  It would have been a first, experimental test of such an advanced modelling technique.

I liked the reflection.

The horse is done in oils, but the rest would be a mixture of Humbrol or Airfix enamels.

Never actually used in a game, but never say never.

10 comments:

  1. They have held up well. And very nicely done too. Several units of these would certainly burn a hole in the pocket today!

    Best Regards,

    Stokes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I would have been 14 or 15 when I painted these. I think I was even experimenting with varnish on the horse. One pound fifty for the foot figure and three pound ten for the mounted figure at Tradition of London. But what price nostalgia?

      Delete
  2. Lovely old figures - thanks for sharing these. I'm sure you can get them into a game somehow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I must compare them with some 28mm figures. I do have a few Hinchcliffe 25mm and then the reissues that were more 30mm so they might fit in and end up in a skirmish game.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Yeah, there is something special about them (of course I would say that).

      Delete
  4. The Funcken books were awesome but you had to be careful that the colours depicted in the plates were actually the real colours. I remember having to repaint some Guard artillerymen that I had done with the wrong colour breeches.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice Mark - great that you have hung onto them for all these years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What can I say, I'm a horder. Especially when it comes to figures I have painted.

      One of the factors behind my blogging was to create a record of my collection so if ever I have to let go, at least I will have something to look at.

      Delete